You want to go and your AirPods aren't charging? That's annoying. But no need to worry. In this article you will learn the most common reasons for charging problems and how you can quickly fix them.
THE 8 MOST COMMON REASONS FOR CHARGING PROBLEMS (WITH SOLUTIONS)
Production errors are very rare at Apple. Therefore, it is much more likely that external factors are causing the charging problems. Here are the most common reasons:
- Connection problems
- The battery level in the charging case is too low
- Battery level in the charging case is 0
- The charging cable doesn't work
- The power source is not working
- Dust and residue in the USB port, cable or charging plug
- Software problems
- Technical defect
1. CONNECTION PROBLEMS
If your AirPods stop charging and you 're having connection issues , the following steps might help:
Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your device. Make sure AirPods are visible in your device's Bluetooth menu. If necessary, disconnect and re-pair.
Make sure the AirPods are within range of your device and there are no harmful radio frequencies nearby.
2. BATTERY LEVEL IN THE CHARGING CASE IS TOO LOW
If the battery level in the charging case is low, the AirPods cannot charge properly. If you have charging problems, first check the battery level in your charging case. You can do the following:
- Place the Airpods in the charging case and open the charging case lid
- Make sure your AirPods are connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth
- Hold the AirPods near your iPhone and wait a moment
A message with the current charge level should now appear on your iPhone screen. This shows the charge level of the charging case and also your AirPods. Here you can now see whether the charging problem is due to the battery level of the charging case.
3. BATTERY LEVEL IN THE CHARGING CASE IS 0
If you have followed the process from point 1 above and the charge level is not displayed on the iPhone screen, the battery level is probably at zero. In this case, you need to charge the charging case. Also check whether your charging case is working properly. To do this, plug the charging cable into the charging case and check whether it lights up. If it lights up, it is working properly.
4. THE CHARGING CABLE DOES NOT WORK
If the light does not light up, your charging cable may be defective. Carefully check the charging cable for any visible damage, such as kinked spots or exposed wires.
Now try a different charging cable (please use an Apple charging cable). If charging now works, the cause was a defective charging cable. Replace it with a new one to fix the problem.
5. THE POWER SOURCE IS NOT WORKING
If your AirPods still won't charge, the power source could be the problem. It is important to ensure that the power source, be it the USB power adapter or a Qi charger, is working properly. Check that the power adapter is properly connected to a working electrical outlet.
When using a wireless charger (Qi charger), make sure that the Qi station is correctly connected to a power source and the charging case is correctly placed on it.
6. DUST AND RESIDUE IN THE USB PORT, CABLE OR CHARGING PLUG
Charging still not working? Sometimes dust, dirt or residue in the USB port of the charging case, on the cable or on the charging plug can also affect the ability to charge. These particles can disrupt the connection between the contacts and cause the AirPods to stop charging properly.
If you see any dirt, carefully remove it with a soft, dry cloth or cotton swab. Be careful not to use liquids to avoid damage. After cleaning, a better connection should be established and the AirPods charging should work normally again.
You can find detailed cleaning instructions here.
7. SOFTWARE PROBLEMS
Update the software, reset the AirPods, and check if the problem occurs on other devices too.
8. TECHNICAL DEFECT
If you have checked all other possible causes and the AirPods still do not charge, an internal technical defect may be the reason.
In the event of technical defects, it is advisable to seek professional assistance from an authorized Apple service provider for accurate diagnosis and repair.
It may also make sense to get individual AirPod replacement parts at this point. This is particularly useful if:
- only one of the AirPods has problems
- Your AirPods warranty has expired
- the technical defect is serious and the repair is too expensive and therefore new AirPods or replacement parts are more worthwhile
The manufacturer does not provide that you can buy individual components of a bundle. For example, if only your right AirPod is broken and no longer charges, you would have to buy a completely new bundle. It's expensive and not really worth it.
You can also buy AirPods individually in our online shop and save money. We purchase original bundles and dismantle them into their individual parts. This ensures that you receive the full manufacturer's warranty even if you only purchase a spare part.
You can also find the charging case as a separately available spare part. Our range includes second and third generation devices as well as the AirPods Pro.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT TO DO IF THE AIRPODS NO LONGER CHARGE?
If your AirPods stop charging, follow these steps:
- Check the charging cable and adapter
- Clean the connections carefully
- Reset the charging case
- Update your devices' software
- Try charging the AirPods using a different power source
- Reset and reconnect the AirPods
- Restart the device to which you connect the AirPods
- Make sure that the charging contacts are clean
- Enable wireless charging if you have a wireless charging case
- Check the warranty and contact Apple Support if necessary.
WHY ISN'T MY CHARGING CASE CHARGING?
If your charging case is not charging, the following reasons could be behind it:
- Defective cable or adapter
- Dirty connections
- Faulty charging contacts
- Software issue, update AirPod software
- Battery problem or battery level too low
- Technical defects
WHAT IF THE AIRPODS STOP LIGHTING?
If the AirPods no longer light up, the following reasons could be behind it:
- Dead battery: The AirPods could be dead. Try to charge them.
- Lost connection: If they are not connected to a device, they may not light up.
- Technical Issue: Internal issues could affect the LED indicators.
- Defective AirPods: If the AirPods are damaged, the LEDs may no longer work.
- Charging contact: Check whether the AirPods are seated correctly in the charging case and the contacts are clean.
HOW CAN I RESTART MY AIRPODS?
For Airpods 2nd generation or Pro:
Press and hold the button on the back of the charging case until the LED indicator flashes white. The AirPods will restart and can then be paired again.
For 1st generation AirPods:
Press and hold the multi-function button on each AirPod until the LED indicator turns orange and then flashes white. The AirPods will restart and can be reconnected.
CAN YOU CHARGE AIRPODS WITHOUT A CHARGING CASE?
AirPods cannot be charged without the charging case. The AirPods themselves do not have the option to be charged directly via a Lightning cable. They must be placed in the charging case to be charged. The charging case acts as an intermediary between the power source and the AirPods.
WHY ARE AIRPODS CHARGED DIFFERENTLY?
AirPods can be charged differently because:
- Usage Pattern: AirPods usage may be inconsistent. The left or right AirPod may have been used more, resulting in different charging levels.
- Connection to the device: If you only use one AirPod while the other stays in the charging case, the AirPod in use can be discharged more quickly.
- Charging contact: If the charging contacts in the charging case are not properly clean or intact, this could lead to different charging states.
- Age and battery condition: The batteries in AirPods age over time, which can also lead to differences in battery life.
HOW CAN I SEE IF MY AIRPODS ARE CHARGED?
You can check the charge level of your AirPods in 3 different ways:
- Charging case LED: Open the charging case near your paired iOS device. The LED display on the front of the charging case shows the charging status of the AirPods.
- iOS device: If your AirPods are paired with an iOS device, you can also check the charging status on your device: Open the charging case near the iOS device. A popup shows the charging status of the AirPods and the charging case.
- Battery widget: You can use the battery widget on your iOS device to view the charge level of your AirPods and charging case while they are near your device.