Your AirPods battery life is decreasing faster than expected? This is frustrating and doesn't have to be that way! In this article you will get practical tips to extend the battery life of your AirPods. So you don't have to constantly look for the nearest socket.
AIRPOD BATTERY AND CASE EMPTY QUICKLY? 7 WAYS TO GET MORE BATTERY LIFE
1. RESET AIRPODS
If your AirPods battery life is running out faster than expected, resetting AirPods may be a solution. It can help troubleshoot any connection or software issues that could be affecting battery usage. However, note that resetting will also remove any custom settings, so make a note of them beforehand if necessary.
How to reset the AirPods:
- Place the AirPods in your charging case and close the lid
- Wait about 30 seconds
- Open the charging case lid and put the AirPods in your ears
- Go to “Settings” and click “Bluetooth.” Or choose Settings > [Your AirPods].
- Under “More information,” tap “Ignore this device” or “Forget this device.” Confirm your entry
- Now place the AirPods in the charging case. The lid is open
- Now hold down the setup button on the back of the charging case for about 15 seconds until the LED light flashes yellow and then white
- Now reconnect your AirPods. The AirPods are in the charging case with the lid open and must be close to the iPhone (or iPad). Now continue to follow the instructions displayed on your device screen.
2. ALWAYS PLACE THE HEADPHONES IN THE CHARGING CASE
One of the most effective ways to ensure your AirPods' battery life lasts longer is to regularly store the headphones in the charging case when you're not actively using them.
By placing the headphones in the case when you're not using them, you can ensure that they don't remain in active Bluetooth mode all the time, which uses up energy.
The AirPods also automatically turn off and charge when in the case, helping to preserve battery life.
3. USE LOWER VOLUME
High volumes require more energy to deliver clear sound. By reducing the volume to a moderate level, the AirPods can operate with less energy consumption. This means you can not only enjoy music for longer, but also extend the time between charges.
4. DISABLE NOISE CANCELING
Although noise canceling is practical in some situations, it uses more battery power. So if you don't necessarily need noise canceling at the moment, deactivate it. That's how it's done:
- Open Settings
- Go to the Bluetooth settings for your AirPods
- Here you will find an option to deactivate noise canceling
On some models you can also deactivate noise canceling directly on the AirPods.
5. DEACTIVATE EAR DETECTION
Ear detection is a handy feature that detects when you take your AirPods out of your ears and automatically pauses playback. While this can be useful, it also uses additional energy because of the sensors. If you don't necessarily need Ear Detection, you can turn it off to extend the battery life of your AirPods. That's how it works:
- Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- Go to "Bluetooth" and look for your AirPods in the list of paired devices.
- Tap the "i" icon next to your AirPods' name.
- Find the “Ear Detection” or “Automatic Ear Detection” option.
- Turn off ear detection by turning the switch to “Off.”
6. CARE FOR YOUR IPHONE AND CASE
Make sure to regularly care for your iPhone case to optimize the battery life of your AirPods. Keep the case clean and free of dust and dirt. Avoid excessive heat or cold as extreme temperatures can affect battery life. Perform regular software updates when available. A well-maintained case ensures that your AirPods function optimally and charge efficiently, resulting in longer battery life.
By the way: You should also care for your AirPods regularly. You can find care tips in this regard here.
7. REPLACE BATTERY
If, despite your best efforts, your AirPods' battery life continues to decline significantly, a battery replacement could be the solution. Over time, batteries naturally degrade, which can result in reduced battery life.
First, check your AirPods' warranty: If your AirPods are still under warranty or you purchased AppleCare+, you may be eligible for a free or low-cost battery replacement.
However, if you no longer have a warranty, it may make sense to get new AirPods. Especially if you wanted an upgrade with better quality that would last longer anyway. You can find many such models in our online shop.
8. REQUEST A SPARE PART
If only one of your AirPods runs out quickly, you can find individual replacement parts on our page.
The manufacturer usually does not offer the option of purchasing individual components of a bundle separately. For example: If only your right AirPod has battery problems, you would usually have to buy an entire new bundle, which can be expensive and often not really cost-effective.
In our online shop we offer the option to purchase AirPods individually, which can save you money. We purchase original bundles and dismantle them into their individual parts. This way we ensure that you retain the full manufacturer's warranty, even if you only purchase a replacement part.
In our range you will also find the charging case as a separately available spare part. We offer second and third generation devices as well as the AirPods Pro.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW LONG DO AIRPODS LAST?
The battery life of AirPods varies depending on the model and usage habits. Here are rough battery life estimates for different AirPods models:
1st and 2nd generation AirPods:
These models typically offer a battery life of around 5 hours of music playback or 2 hours of talk time on a full charge. The charging case can provide multiple additional charges, increasing the total usage time to over 24 hours.
3rd Gen AirPods:
3rd Gen AirPods provide up to 6 hours of listening time (up to 5 hours when 3D audio is enabled) or up to 4 hours of talk time on a single charge.
If you charge your 3rd generation AirPods in the charging case for just 5 minutes, you will get about 1 hour of listening time or about 1 hour of talk time.
The AirPods Pro typically offer a slightly shorter battery life of around 4.5 hours of music playback or 3.5 hours of talk time on a full charge. Similar to the other models, the overall service life is extended by the charging case.
AirPods 2 Pro:
The 2nd generation AirPods Pro have a battery life of up to 4.5 hours of continuous audio playback or up to 3.5 hours of talk time on a single charge.
The AirPods Max over-ear headphones offer longer battery life, which may vary depending on activity. With noise cancellation active, battery life is around 20 hours, but with noise cancellation disabled it can be longer.
WHY DO AIRPODS RUN OUT SO QUICKLY?
The AirPods may drain faster than expected for several reasons. Here are some possible causes:
- Always active Bluetooth connection
- High volume
- Activate the AirPods through movement
- Frequent charging
- Old battery
- Unfavorable environments: heat or cold
- Too many apps in the background that use Bluetooth
- Too many active device connections
- Intensive use of functions such as Siri or noise canceling
SHOULD YOU LEAVE AIRPODS IN THE CASE?
Yes, it is recommended to store the AirPods in the case when you are not using them. Here are some reasons why storing AirPods in the case makes sense:
- Protection against damage
- Preserving battery life
- Automatically deactivate AirPods to save energy
- Harder to lose
HOW BEST TO CHARGE AIRPODS?
Here are some tips on how to best charge your AirPods:
- Use the included charging case
- Charge the AirPods regularly before the battery is completely exhausted
- Charge the case regularly
- Use high-quality charging cables and adapters
- Do not charge AirPods and case in extremely high or low temperatures
- Keep the contacts clean
- Update the software
CAN I CHARGE MY AIRPODS ON MY PHONE?
No, you cannot charge your AirPods directly to your phone. AirPods must be charged in their charging case.
HOW MANY CHARGE CYCLES DO AIRPODS HAVE?
The exact number of charge cycles that AirPods or AirPods Pro can achieve may vary. However, Apple states that the batteries in the AirPods should still have about 80% of their original capacity after about 500 full charge cycles.