In this post you will learn exactly how to replace the battery in your AirPods Pro. We will also discuss in which cases it may make sense to purchase a spare part instead of replacing the battery. Changing the battery can also involve certain costs that are not always worth it.
CAN I REPLACE THE BATTERY ON THE AIRPODS PRO AND PRO 2 MYSELF?
The AirPods Pro are designed so that the battery is not user-replaceable. This is because the batteries in the AirPods Pro are integrated into the case and earpieces.
If the battery life of your AirPods Pro decreases and they no longer last long enough, you usually have to replace or repair the entire product, i.e. the two AirPods Pro.
Check here whether your AirPods Pro are still under warranty and, if necessary, contact Apple Customer Support or an authorized Apple service provider to see whether a repair or replacement is possible.
By the way, your product is entitled to a free battery replacement if you have AppleCare+ for headphones and your AirPods Pro battery is less than 80% of its original capacity.
WHAT TO DO IF JUST A SINGLE AIRPOD HAS BATTERY PROBLEMS?
Apple does not offer individual AirPods for sale. However, you can also purchase individual spare parts in our online shop . We buy original AirPods sets and disassemble them into their individual parts.
This way we ensure that you get an original product and also retain the full manufacturer's warranty, even if you only buy a spare part.
Another advantage: you save money. Buying a single AirPods is of course cheaper than buying a complete set.
CAN I REPLACE THE CHARGING CASE BATTERY ON MY AIRPODS PRO OR PRO 2 MYSELF?
The battery in the charging case looks exactly like the battery in the AirPods Pro: the charging case is also designed so that it cannot be replaced by the user themselves.
AppleCare+ and your right to a free battery replacement also apply to the charging case.
REPLACING THE AIRPODS PRO BATTERY: HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Regardless of whether you want to have a single AirPod, both AirPods, or a charging case replaced: You can use Apple's “Get a Quote” tool to determine the approximate costs if you purchase the service directly from Apple.
However, if you want to use other service providers, the costs may be different there. Because other providers set their own fees.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH YOUR OLD AIRPODS?
If you have old AirPods that are no longer in good condition, defective , or whose batteries no longer provide the desired performance, there are several ways you can continue using them or dispose of them:
- Recycling at Apple: Apple has a recycling program where you can return your old AirPods and other Apple devices for free or drop them off at an Apple Store. Apple may recycle the devices and reuse the materials or dispose of them properly.
- Sell or give away: If your old AirPods still work and are in acceptable condition, you could sell them or give them to friends or family members who could still use them. You may also be able to sell them on platforms like eBay.
- Recycling Centers: Some regions have electronics recycling centers that accept old electronics and recycle them properly. You could give your old AirPods to such a center to ensure they are disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner.
WHERE TO REPAIR AIRPODS PRO
If you need a repair , there are several options:
- Apple Store: The easiest way to get AirPods Pro and Pro 2 repaired is to visit an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. At an Apple Store, Apple experts can check the problems with your AirPods Pro and, if possible, carry out repairs or replace parts.
- Apple Support: You can also contact Apple Support for assistance and instructions on repairing your AirPods Pro. Apple Support can help you troubleshoot the problem and arrange a repair or replacement if necessary.
- Make an appointment online: If you want to go to an Apple Store, it is advisable to make an appointment in advance. You can schedule an appointment for support or repair for your AirPods Pro on the Apple website or in the Apple Store app.
- AppleCare+: If you purchased AppleCare+ for your AirPods Pro, you may benefit from expanded service and support. AppleCare+ covers certain repairs and replacements, even if the warranty period has expired. You can contact Apple Support to verify AppleCare+ coverage and receive service.
HOW MUCH DOES AN AIRPODS PRO REPAIR COST?
The cost of an AirPods Pro repair can depend on a variety of factors, including:
- Type of problem: The type of problem or damage to the AirPods Pro is a determining factor in the repair cost. For example, replacing a single AirPod due to damage may be more expensive than replacing a battery.
- Warranty or Coverage: If your AirPods Pro are still under warranty or you have purchased AppleCare+, many repairs can be performed for free or at a discounted rate as long as the terms of the warranty are met. If your AirPods Pro are no longer covered by warranty or AppleCare+, you will be responsible for the full cost of the repair.
- Damage Type: If the AirPods Pro require repair due to accidental damage or misuse, the cost may be higher than for defects covered by the standard warranty.
For individual costs in your case, contact Apple Support.
HOW LONG DOES AIRPODS PRO BATTERY LAST?
For AirPods Pro 2:
- With multiple charges in the charging case: over 30 hours of listening time or up to 24 hours of talk time
- Up to 6 hours of listening time (up to 5.5 if you enable 3D audio and head tracking)
- Up to 4.5 hours of talk time on one charge
- With a 5-minute charge in the charging case, you get about 1 hour of listening time or 1 hour of talk time
For AirPods Pro:
- With multiple charges in the charging case: over 24 hours of listening time or more than 18 hours of talk time.
- Up to 4.5 hours of listening time or up to 3.5 hours of talk time on a single charge.
- With a 5-minute charge in the charging case, you get about 1 hour of listening time or about 1 hour of talk time
HOW MANY YEARS DO AIRPODS PRO LAST?
The durability of AirPods Pro and AirPods 2 Pro depends on several factors, including:
- Frequency of use: How often and intensively you use your AirPods affects their lifespan
- Charging behavior: Frequent complete discharging and overcharging can be harmful. Regularly charging and discharging to around 50-80% can extend the life of the batteries.
- Care: Caring for your AirPods Pro can also affect their lifespan. To protect the batteries, keep the contacts clean and protect them from extreme heat or cold.
According to user experience, the AirPods Pro and AirPods Pro 2 still work well after several years if attention is paid to frequency of use, charging behavior and care.
CAN YOU CHANGE THE BATTERY ON AIRPODS?
You cannot replace the batteries in AirPods yourself because the cases are specifically designed to protect and seal the internal components, including the batteries. This applies to all models.